The Wargame Spot Forum
The Wargame Spot Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Well, _between_ your dice and mine, they are statistically average." —The Unknown Grognard

Kings of War Battle Box
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Historical Gaming -> ReviewsMessage format

DontFearDaReaper
Posted 2015-08-25 3:57 AM (#16774)
Subject: Kings of War Battle Box

Ultimate Veteran

I picked up the Kings of War Battle box at GHG yesterday. This contains two starter armies (dwarf and undead) and a softback copy of the rules. It costs about $85 plus tax and you get 60 undead figures and 40 dwarf figures plus a cannon and two crew. They are plastic so you will want to remove them using a sharp xacto and/or a good sprue cutter. The figures are multi-part and fit together easily and well. You get a decent selection of heads, arms, weapons and such to individualize your units to taste. The figures have a lot of nice touches one of which is the figures come on a very small circular base. This is useful if you know you are only going to use these figures for Kings of War and want to permanently mount them on a large base diorama-style. They also come with a 20mm x 20mm square base that the circular base fits into if you want to individually mount the figures and play KoW on sabot bases.

I did have one little hiccup putting the undead together but it had nothing to do with the figures themselves. I was almost out of super-glue so I wandered over to Lowes to get some. I came across a bottle of Locktite Good2Go Superglue. It caught my eye because it advertised itself as heat-resistant, something I occasionally can use in a glue. If your not aware of it, regular super-glue basically melts into a watery goo at about 115 degrees or so. I brought it home and discovered that this stuff has adhesive properties that fall somewhere between kindergarten craft paste and tap water. Plus it has a set time of 30 minutes which is a pain especially when the figure falls apart the first time you touch it even after a couple of hours. I had to wander off to Wal-Mart for some proper super-glue and start over.

Getting back to the KoW figures, great sculpts at extremely reasonable prices. Between the Mantic figures and Reaper Bones, you should be able to put together a really nice looking fantasy army on the cheap or if you have an old Warhammer Fantasy army laying around, you can pretty much find a KoW army list that supports it as is.

Dave da critic
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Francisco
Posted 2015-08-25 7:42 AM (#16776 - in reply to #16774)
Subject: Re: Kings of War Battle Box

Elite Veteran

The Mantic undead look really great.. I think they will be doing the undead for the Frostgrave Necromancer release later this year...

When you have stuff ready to play let this parasite over here join a game ... in exchange I can offer you to join in my Hammer's Slammers game
DontFearDaReaper
Posted 2015-08-25 9:43 AM (#16780 - in reply to #16776)

Ultimate Veteran

Sound like a deal to me

Dave da gamer
Charles Stampley
Posted 2015-08-31 5:34 AM (#16834 - in reply to #16780)

Veteran

GO2 Glue makes a great filler for water details since it dries clear. I use it to make small ponds and lakes. Unfortunately it is no substitute for super glue, however.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)