The Wargame Spot Forum
The Wargame Spot Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "People say you have to work on your resentments. Yeah, no, I'm gonna hang onto them and they're gonna fuel my attack." —Charlie Sheen

Kings of War Battle Box
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Historical Gaming -> ReviewsMessage format

DontFearDaReaper
Posted 2015-08-25 3:57 AM (#16774)
Subject: Kings of War Battle Box

Ultimate Veteran

I picked up the Kings of War Battle box at GHG yesterday. This contains two starter armies (dwarf and undead) and a softback copy of the rules. It costs about $85 plus tax and you get 60 undead figures and 40 dwarf figures plus a cannon and two crew. They are plastic so you will want to remove them using a sharp xacto and/or a good sprue cutter. The figures are multi-part and fit together easily and well. You get a decent selection of heads, arms, weapons and such to individualize your units to taste. The figures have a lot of nice touches one of which is the figures come on a very small circular base. This is useful if you know you are only going to use these figures for Kings of War and want to permanently mount them on a large base diorama-style. They also come with a 20mm x 20mm square base that the circular base fits into if you want to individually mount the figures and play KoW on sabot bases.

I did have one little hiccup putting the undead together but it had nothing to do with the figures themselves. I was almost out of super-glue so I wandered over to Lowes to get some. I came across a bottle of Locktite Good2Go Superglue. It caught my eye because it advertised itself as heat-resistant, something I occasionally can use in a glue. If your not aware of it, regular super-glue basically melts into a watery goo at about 115 degrees or so. I brought it home and discovered that this stuff has adhesive properties that fall somewhere between kindergarten craft paste and tap water. Plus it has a set time of 30 minutes which is a pain especially when the figure falls apart the first time you touch it even after a couple of hours. I had to wander off to Wal-Mart for some proper super-glue and start over.

Getting back to the KoW figures, great sculpts at extremely reasonable prices. Between the Mantic figures and Reaper Bones, you should be able to put together a really nice looking fantasy army on the cheap or if you have an old Warhammer Fantasy army laying around, you can pretty much find a KoW army list that supports it as is.

Dave da critic
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Francisco
Posted 2015-08-25 7:42 AM (#16776 - in reply to #16774)
Subject: Re: Kings of War Battle Box

Elite Veteran

The Mantic undead look really great.. I think they will be doing the undead for the Frostgrave Necromancer release later this year...

When you have stuff ready to play let this parasite over here join a game ... in exchange I can offer you to join in my Hammer's Slammers game
DontFearDaReaper
Posted 2015-08-25 9:43 AM (#16780 - in reply to #16776)

Ultimate Veteran

Sound like a deal to me

Dave da gamer
Charles Stampley
Posted 2015-08-31 5:34 AM (#16834 - in reply to #16780)

Veteran

GO2 Glue makes a great filler for water details since it dries clear. I use it to make small ponds and lakes. Unfortunately it is no substitute for super glue, however.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)